>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is it time for post-match interviews with refs?


After Tuesday night’s controversial clash between Manchester United and Real Madrid, I found myself asking a question, it’s a question I’ve asked myself many times before, and no doubt I’ll ask again. What on earth was the referee thinking?

When Luis Nani leaped into the air, extending his leg in an attempt to control the ball, he collided with Alvaro Arbeloa. Was it clumsy? Yes. Did he deserve a booking? Yes. Was it worthy of a red? No chance.


There can’t have been many in Old Trafford, not even the most optimistic of Madrid supporters, who expected Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir to reach for his back pocket, and in doing so, ruin what had been an enthralling, end-to-end match, ultimately costing United their place in the Champions League, dashing their hopes of achieving another historic treble.

So I’ll ask again, what was the referee thinking? I think it’s about time we started to find out…

We have post-match interviews with just about everyone these days, players, managers and even the odd celebrity fan like to pop down and have a good old chat with Geoff Shreeves. So why don't referees? Rather than the usual clichéd tripe from some half-soaked footballer telling us “It was just all about the three points today, and luckily we got that” why not have something people would actually want to listen to?



“So Cuneyt, why did you feel it was a red card for Nani?” “Well I felt that his foot was too high, and it was a dangerous play from him, after consulting with my assistant I decided that a red card was the right call to make”
At least now his decision would be justified, it still might not be the right one, but it's been explained.

It's common sense at it's best, but common sense is something FIFA has tended to lack over recent years...  

No comments:

Post a Comment